Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Are all Supra TT's automatics?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member YoMommaWoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2000
    Posts
    52
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Actually, shoemanfoo is right. And CROM. In 1996, the Supra Turbo only came with an automatic- 5spds only came w/ the N/A version. Like CROM said, a lot of people prefer automatics, but also like shoemanfoo said, it was because of emissions. 1996 was the year OBD-II went into effect and Toyota couldn't bring the 6spd version up to regulation in time for the model year. Also, the auto has a manual override switch that let you shift and hold the gears like a stick. With that, the autos are only a couple tenths slower than the 6spds. But they're weak and can't hold much power. People pushing a lot of power were busting the planetaries and replacing the trans on a regular basis. I know a person running 600 hp who has that Level 10 auto trans, and it can't hold the power. I mean, think about it. 600 lb-ft and 3800 lbs w/ driver would be pretty hard on any drivetrain. smile

    Also, there's a guy in my area (Baltimore, Maryland) selling a 93 turbo auto with 60K miles for only $19K. If someone really wants one, make the drive here and pick it up! If I wasn't in college, I'd probably have bought it already. hehe.

    [This message has been edited by YoMommaWoo (edited April 20, 2000).]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Subject says it all.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Turismo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 1999
    Posts
    557
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No way man.
    I wouldn't have one without the six-speed manual. smile

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's good to hear. Edmunds' doesn't list a 6speed option and the five or six internet classifieds I checked out were all AT.

    Those puppies are still pretty pricey! I was seeing $25-$30K for ones with reasonable (<60k ) mileage.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member shoemanfoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 18th, 1999
    Posts
    91
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is it in good condition? Has it been raced alot?

  6. #16
    Inactive Member FB's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2000
    Posts
    51
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb


    The fastest Supras all run Powerglide transmissions... I believe. Just like most domestics in the 8's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •